As a nurse or nursing student, you commit your life selflessly to serving others every day. You deserve to feel unique, stylish and celebrated for all you do.
That's why we want to help nurses and soon-to-be nurses discover the best hairstyles for the job that will withstand long shifts without making them feel frumpy.
Playing with different styles can be a fun way to incorporate your personality into your style, even if you spend your days in scrubs.
Our stylists rounded up their favorite nursing hairstyles.
What Are Good Nursing Hairstyles?
A nursing hairstyle should be easy to do, quick to style, and able to withstand long shifts. It should also suit your specialty. A Pediatric Nurse may have different hair needs from an Operating Room Nurse.
Before we delve into the styles, let's cover some suggestions on must-have hair products for nurses and nursing students.
- Soft and stretchy hair ties. Say no to rubber bands or thin elastics that break your hair. Opt for softer bands that are designed to prevent snags and tearing.
- A quality shampoo. Choose a shampoo designed for your hair needs, like Biotera, AGEbeautiful Ultra Bond, or All About Curls.
- Deep conditioner. Conditioners are essential for nurse hair care. It's good to pair yours with the same product line as your shampoo or ask your stylist for their recommendations.
- A Good Headband. Headbands help push hair back and keep it out of your face while still offering some style on top of your scrubs. Pair yours with different colors to make a matching look.
Top Hairstyles for Nurses
1. The French Braid
The French braid is always at the top of every list when exploring cute nurse hairstyles. It's also easy to pull off once you get the hang of it. This tutorial can help you master the French braid in no time.
- Make sure your hair is dry and completely detangled before braiding.
- Practice with a small braid first to grow comfortable with the pattern.
2. Inverted Ponytail
An inside-out ponytail is the perfect hair for nurses who like looser styles. It's fast, easy, and super comfortable, and you can either use it as a ponytail or turn it into a bun.
Here's how to do it:
- Gather your hair into a ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Secure your ponytail with a soft hair elastic.
- Separate the hair directly above your ponytail.
- Pull your ponytail through the hole you created.
- Adjust as needed.
For an inverted ponytail bun, follow the same steps, but only pull your ponytail halfway through the hole.
Wrap the end of your ponytail around the bun, and secure it in place with bobby pins or even another elastic.
View this post on Instagram
3. French Braid Bun
Once you've learned how to make a good French braid, you can use the style to add a stylish twist to a classic high bun.
Flip your hair down and French braid from the base of your neck up. Stop halfway through the middle, gather the rest of your hair, and secure it in a bun at the top of your head.
This look can take some time to master, so don't sweat it if you don't nail it the first time. Have fun with it, and you'll be incorporating French braids into tons of hairstyles in no time.
4. A Pixie Cut
View this post on Instagram
The pixie cut is such a cute nurse hairstyle and ultra-easy to maintain.
Getting a pixie cut is a major transition, especially if you've never rocked short hair before.
Talk to your stylist beforehand about taking the leap. You may opt for a slightly longer 'do first before going all the way.
Here are some of our tips for getting the best pixie cut for your face:
- Use soft and wispy bangs to soften the look.
- Don't cut too short if you don't want a military-grade cut.
- Consider incorporating highlights for flair.
- Use texturizing products to add volume.
- Use a few layers to make your hair look fuller.
We suggest always having a stylist perform a big chop. They can help you get the perfect flattering and chic look while walking you through different lengths.
The salon is the perfect place to discuss and gradually transition to the perfect length.
5. High Ponytail
High ponytails can be made sleek and sophisticated with the right styling products.
Make a traditional ponytail, but angle it higher than you usually do. The perfect spot for this look is an inch or two lower than your crown.
Brush hair back well, and run some smoothing styling products to eliminate any frizz.
Secure with a hair tie, then wrap a small piece of hair from the back of your ponytail around the band. This adds a chic finishing touch that you can easily secure with a single bobby pin.
6. Braided Pigtails
Who says pigtails are for kids? This is a fun and youthful style perfect for spring and summer.
Using a simple braid on either side, secure your pigtails and braid down. This is a perfect look for short, shoulder-length hair. If you have longer hair, you can braid either side of your hair, then secure it into a low bun.
You could also try to spice things up by doing a partial braid that flows out into your pigtails.
Get Professional Salon Advice From Home
Got questions about choosing the right products? Can't decide on the right color for your new makeover? We're always here to help!
Contact a Zotos Professional salon expert today using LiveChat, or call us Monday through Friday, 9 am to 8 pm EST, at 800-242-9283.